First impressions can have a serious impact on your business success. Try these tips in remembering names to help you in your new job!
1. Repeat the name as many times as you can. "Nice to meet you Bob" and "Thank you Bob" will help you to remember next time you meet Bob.
2. Don't be having another conversation in your head. Meaning, be present and engaged with person you are meeting. Don't worry about what you're going to say next. Pay attention and learn the person's name who you are being introduced to.
3. Connect the name with a visual image. It could a facial characteristic or a visual word play - such as Jane Carr may be associated like " I wonder which car Jane drives?", etc.
4. Link the new name with something or someone you already know. Using past experiences associate new names with people you knew in similar roles, such as Judy is "Diane" as she takes care of payroll, etc.
5. Don't be afraid to ask for people's names. If you approach someone to ask for their name, that becomes a good ice breaker and relationship builder. Most people would rather you ask for their name than to be not acknowledged.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.